Game Jam #6 - Dig Dug Clone

**Update - Entry form entries close 30/04/2015 **

Theme for Game Jam number 6 is make a Dig Dug clone, if you haven’t played it before check out the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5LGbYyABDs

Assets to help you get started are free to download for the next 5 days so grab them now and get coding!

Micro Knight
Micro Dragon
Micro Demon
Cube World

Competition details/rules

• 1 entry per developer/team
  • Must incorporate 2 or more assets stated above.
  • You may use other assets you own/license (including non Bitgem assets).
  • Entry must be playable in browser.
  • Entries close 30th of April 2015.

Prizes

Winners will be chosen by @matt and @jason

• 1st $150 Cash (via Paypal)
  • 2nd $100 Bitgem store credit
  • 3rd $50 Bitgem store credit
  • All other valid entries will receive $15 Bitgem store credit

Don’t forget to share your WIP with us on twitter @bitgem3d and this thread, happy coding!

It’s great that BitGem3D does these game jams but i’m hoping that winners will be decided by your team based on quality/creativity and not by spam vpn/friends votes.

Nonetheless thanks again for being an active and community supporting company.

I totally agree with @tekmostudios. A more transparent rating scheme would be preferable. Or decide winners by category as you did in your first game jams.

Will try to complete a full entry this time :smile:
Agree with @tekmostudios on the final voting!

I also agree, as someone who’s posted on Facebook maybe 5x the past 4 years. I’m completely out of the social game.

I’m already working on my entry :smile:

I agree with everyone, voting should be done like on the first jams, I think it’s more fair

I’m really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for this one! :smiley: Well, the sentiment seems to be unanimous so we’ll be updating the rules and judge the entries ourselves.

woohooo!!

motivation has increased 2x!!

Thanks again BITGEM3D!!

Glad you like the little judging change :slight_smile:

Can I suggest all that are entering to share their WIP here early and often, as we’d really like to see all involved playing each others games along the way so we can give constructive feedback to improve each game. Just keep in mind when giving feedback we have a wide range of expertise and experience level entering the game jam :wink:

and if you haven’t already you should subscribe to Extra Credits YouTube channel, loads of great videos on being a game designer.

To get you started here’s a video on playtesting

Here’s my first WIP screenshot, not a lot of work done yet. I’ll try to have a demo next week.

@Also wow! impressive since they just announced it… so you’ll be done by friday?! :smiley:

I’m having a week off, so I have to get as much progress as I can hahaha.

I’ll try to have an early demo by Sunday with the core functionality.

Just a quick question, after importing the micro dragon and setting the shader to Diffuse the eyes appear as big red squares … (using Unity5) any clues what setting to take? The other models are fine although they start as Transparent/Diffuse which is a bit funny :smile: , but once set to Diffuse or Diffuse detail it seems to work (apart from the dragon that is)

I generally find the cutout shaders are a good fit for the bitgem models. Either unlit/cutout or standard/cutout. Try giving one of those a go.

Here’s a look at what I’ve been working on:

Wow I like the top down view looks great! really looking forward to playing all these variations.

Nice work guys!

I’ve been working on a top down view game as well, but I decided that instead of using tiled objects I would try having the hero dig through snow to create the lanes. And instead of having falling rocks i’m going to go with charging rock elementals :smile:

I’ve uploaded a demo build of what I’ve got so far, where you can walk the knight around and play in the snow. Any feedback is appreciated. http://tinyurl.com/pokow5k

Amazing progress there already! Clearing away the snow works great. Exciting stuff! :smiley: