Quality Control & Free Assets

Hi All,

Matt and I are slowing working through updating all our old content for Unity and would like some help with quality control and improving the utility of the assets. So we’re looking for a few brave souls that can help with quality control & reviewing the assets.

What’s on offer

1. Free assets!

What we want from you

1. Play with the assets, let us know any issues.
  2. Leave an honest review on the Unity Asset Store, we won’t penalize you if you only give us 1 star (Matt might cry a little though), but we need constructive feedback so we can improve the assets and turn that into 5 :star2:
  3. No minimum time commitment required, but you only get one asset to review at a time.

If you’re interested just post in this thread and let us know your experience level with Unity. Depending on the number of people that are interested we’ll rotate people over time.

would love to check out new assets and have reviewed your assets in the past too.

I’m interested, but is there a certain version of unity I need to use to test? I have several installs of unity from 4, 5, 2017 and 2018. I mainly build with 5 or 2017 as I have some reservations about going all in with 2018. Actually Unity’ s 3D platformer game starter kit is what got me to make the jump to 2018. Aside from that, I’d probably exclusively build with 2017 and a few old game kits that work better in unity 5 than 2017.

As a heavy unity user, fellow asset store publisher and bitgem fan, I’d be happy to review some assets for you.

I’d really like this one, although it has a few reviews already:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/desert-town-smashy-craft-series-57290

But if you just pick some you’d like reviewed I’d be happy to.

Hi! I would love to help out with anything I can. I’m a developer and have about 1-1/2 years experience with Unity. Thanks!

We’ll mostly be focusing on Unity 2017+ , so no need to test of mutiple versions.

that would be great! but don’t you already own 99% of our assets :smiley:

link me a set from the Unity store you’d like to review/QA and I’ll send you a :old_key:

ahh - I have indeed (or at least those I care for) … I was expecting this to apply to the upcoming packages and was looking forward to getting my hands on the cool water shader in that blocky environment asset. :smiley:

I’ll be happy to help!

ok, I’ll put you down for the cube set/shaders once it’s ready - should be ready for review in a week or so.

I just sent out a few keys, will send a few more in the next hour, so don’t worry no one will miss out! But first, I thought I should post a rough review template to make this feel like work for you all :smiley:

Package Name:
Price:
Overall Rating: /5
Unity Version:
Comments: was it’s awesome? what was broken? did the set have good utility, what could make it better?
Value for Money: would you pay for it at the listed price? too cheap or too expensive.

Once your review is done, post the results in this thread so we can share with everyone reviewing.

just a quickie - I just imported the Winter Diorama

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/winter-diorama-set-01-smashy-craft-series-139458

I can’t find a readme.txt or other documentation on the snow shader. Now the objects that interact with it to create the impressions are seemingly on a special layer, but it shows as a blank layer after import (Unity 2018.3.7f1 ) - which I guess it is due to not being imported as a project but as an asset (which I very much prefer).

I love the look though and smart approach to story telling in the demo scene. I would have liked the same scene without the animation right at the start to just play with the assets more productive right from the start.

And a first look at the texture approach is awesome. Already loved it with the Ancient Palace Set - gonna spend some time to see how fast I get additional or more individual color sets out of the mix. That said - I would love to see a .PSD version that removes the step of cutting out the individual pieces of the texture.

This was just a quickie on the asset - gonna post a real review in the template format later.

Quickie II - now that I open the overview scene I get hit with the missing post processing … so I installed it in the Package Manager and get the following error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.AmbientOcclusion.IsEnabledAndSupported (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1.4/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/AmbientOcclusion.cs:179)
UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetLegacyCameraFlags (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1.4/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:696)
UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetupContext (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1.4/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:781)
UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.BuildCommandBuffers () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1.4/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:468)
UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.OnPreCull () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.1.4/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:402)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

might be just me missing some necessary setup step, without it the camera gives an overexposed looing image

After setting up the post processing from scratch I was able to remove the errors and get a nice looking scene.

But I found another problem - the skeleton rig is not working for some reason. There is an import error and I can use the sword guy and the zombie fine with the standard asset 3rd person character controller - but not the skeleton!

great feedback, will chat with Matt then he’s online as he put the pack together, then we’ll look at making a few changes based on your findings.

Here is my review for the Low Poly Zombie Crew

Package Name: Low Poly Zombie Crew
Price: $39.00
Overall Rating: 5/5
Unity Version: 2017.3.1f1 Personal
Comments:

Characters have lots of personality to them as displayed in their models, textures & animation and it all comes together quite nicely.

Texture work is very nice, containing lots of small details, yet still manages to keeps all of the characters to a low poly count.

Nice amount of animations per character (over 15)

The animations are generic animation type but can be easily converted to the humanoid animation type.

The animations are separated into individual animation clips.

The only con I see is, if converting to humanoid animations you have to re-add the newly created humanoid animation clips to a new animator. Not a deal breaker, but just an extra step to take if you needed humanoid animated characters as opposed to generic animated ones.

Only suggestion would be to add a humanoid animation style prefab of the characters for those who may not know how to do the conversion themselves.

Value for Money:

The Low Poly Zombie Crew is a great price and value for the quality and amount of characters and animations.

Thanks for the great feedback @sketche99 , re the animation setup do you have any examples of how you’d like to see it set up?

Package Name: Skeleton Warrior - Smashy Craft Series
Price: $9
Overall Rating: 5/5
Unity Version: 2018.3.6f1
Comments:

As usual, the quality is absolutely top. The skeleton comes with color variations and creating new ones is really easy. The one point I think can be improved is the default Model Rig Animation Type, which is set to Generic. You’ll normally want this to be set as Humanoid if you want to use your own animations with Mecanim.

It’s a 15 seconds fix if you know how to do it, but it might be a little tricky to fix if you are beginning with Unity development.

Value for Money: Considering the quality of the asset, the variations and the possibility of using external animations, I think the asset is well worth the price.

I made a short video going over the process of converting one of the characters from Generic to Mecanim and quickly setting them up as a playable character with Invector’s Free 3rd Person Controller.

Elijah,

Is the review O.K. to put up on the Unity Asset Store?

thanks for the video, that was super useful. when we first made most of these characters Mecanim wasn’t a thing in Unity, guess @matt and I need to get to work and update them!

regarding the review, feel free to post what you want on the asset store, no need to stick to the template above (that was more for the forums here, it’s the comments that is most useful), just post a normal and honest review :slight_smile: